Virginia Beach is a popular coastal city located in the southeastern part of Virginia. It is well-known for its long stretches of sandy beaches, boardwalk, and a plethora of fun activities that cater to all ages. Whether you’re a beach bum, an adventure seeker, or a history buff, Virginia Beach has something for everyone.
If you’re planning a trip to Virginia Beach and wondering what to do, you’re in luck. In this article, we’ve compiled a list of 15 fun things to do in Virginia Beach. From exploring the local history to enjoying water sports, this list has got you covered. So, pack your bags, put on your sunscreen, and get ready for a fun-filled vacation in Virginia Beach!
Virginia Beach is known for its beautiful, wide beaches and there are plenty of activities to enjoy on the sand and in the water. Here are some of the best things to do in Virginia Beach for beach lovers:
- Swimming: The ocean water is warm and inviting during the summer months, making it the perfect place to cool off and have some fun. Just be sure to swim in the designated areas and follow any posted warnings.
- Surfing: Virginia Beach is a popular destination for surfers, with waves that are perfect for both beginners and experienced riders. Rent a board or take a lesson from one of the many surf schools in the area.
- Paddleboarding: Stand-up paddleboarding is a fun and relaxing way to explore the ocean. Rent a board or take a guided tour to see the local wildlife and enjoy the scenery.
- Kayaking: Kayaking is another great way to explore the ocean and nearby waterways. Take a guided tour or rent a kayak and explore on your own.
- Beach Volleyball: Gather some friends and hit the sand for a game of beach volleyball. There are plenty of public courts available for use.
Whether you prefer to relax on the beach or get active in the water, there are plenty of beach activities to enjoy in Virginia Beach. So grab your sunscreen and get ready for some fun in the sun!
Virginia Beach is a paradise for water sports enthusiasts. With miles of beautiful coastline and meandering waterways, there is no shortage of fun and exciting water activities to enjoy.
One of the best things to do in Virginia Beach is to try parasailing. Adventure Parasail offers a thrilling experience that allows visitors to soar high above the ocean and enjoy breathtaking views of the beach and surrounding area.
For those who prefer to stay closer to the water, Virginia Beach Watersports offers jet ski rentals and guided tours of the area’s waterways.
For those who want to explore the ocean’s depths, there are plenty of scuba diving opportunities in Virginia Beach. Dive with the friendly and knowledgeable staff at Lynnhaven Dive Center and discover the incredible marine life that calls the area home.
If you’re looking for a more laid-back water activity, consider renting a paddleboard or kayak and exploring the calm waters of First Landing State Park. Bay Venture Boat Rentals offers a variety of watercraft rentals, including paddleboards, kayaks, and pontoon boats.
Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a first-time adventurer, Virginia Beach has something for everyone when it comes to water sports. With so many options to choose from, it’s no wonder that water sports are among the best things to do in Virginia Beach.
So, grab your swimsuit, sunscreen, and sense of adventure, and head to Virginia Beach for an unforgettable water sports experience.
Virginia Beach is home to many historic sites that are worth exploring. Here are some of the best things to do in Virginia Beach for history buffs.
- First Landing State Park: This park is where English colonists first landed in 1607. Visitors can explore the park’s trails, beaches, and picnic areas while learning about the history of the area.
- Cape Henry Lighthouse: Built in 1792, this lighthouse is the oldest government-built lighthouse in the country. Visitors can climb to the top for a stunning view of the Atlantic Ocean.
- Adam Thoroughgood House: This historic home was built in 1680 and is named after one of Virginia’s first colonists. Visitors can take a guided tour to learn about life in the 17th century.
The Virginia Beach Boardwalk also has a rich history. It was first constructed in 1888 and has since become a beloved attraction for locals and visitors alike. Along the boardwalk, visitors can find historic landmarks like the Old Coast Guard Station and the Norwegian Lady Statue.
For a unique historical experience, visitors can check out the Military Aviation Museum. This museum houses one of the largest collections of World War I and II aircraft in the world. Visitors can take a guided tour and even take a ride in a vintage biplane.
Whether you’re interested in colonial history or military aviation, Virginia Beach has something for everyone. Don’t miss out on these fun things to do in Virginia Beach for a glimpse into the area’s rich history.
Museums and Galleries
If you’re interested in history and art, Virginia Beach has a number of museums and galleries to explore:
- Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art: This museum features modern and contemporary art from local and international artists. Visitors can view exhibits, attend events, and take art classes.
- Old Coast Guard Station Museum: Learn about the history of the U.S. Coast Guard in Virginia Beach through exhibits and artifacts. The museum is located on the boardwalk and offers beautiful views of the ocean.
- Military Aviation Museum: Aviation enthusiasts will enjoy this museum, which features vintage aircraft from World War I and II. Visitors can take guided tours and even take a ride in a biplane.
- Virginia Beach Surf & Rescue Museum: This museum is dedicated to the history of surfing and lifeguarding in Virginia Beach. Exhibits include vintage surfboards, lifeguard equipment, and historic photographs.
These are just a few of the many museums and galleries to explore in Virginia Beach. Whether you’re interested in contemporary art, military history, or surfing culture, there’s something for everyone. So be sure to add these attractions to your list of best things to do in Virginia Beach.
Virginia Beach is a perfect destination for families with children of all ages. With so many fun things to do, it can be hard to decide where to start. Here are some of the best family-friendly attractions to check out:
- Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center: This is one of the best things to do in Virginia Beach with kids. The aquarium has over 800,000 gallons of water and is home to more than 12,000 animals. Families can enjoy interactive exhibits, animal encounters, and even a 3D movie experience.
- First Landing State Park: This park is perfect for families who love nature and outdoor activities. With over 2,800 acres of land and 1.5 miles of beachfront, there are plenty of opportunities for hiking, biking, swimming, and fishing. Families can also enjoy a picnic or rent a cabin for an overnight stay.
- Virginia Beach Boardwalk: This iconic boardwalk is a must-visit attraction for families. With over three miles of oceanfront, families can enjoy a stroll, bike ride, or rollerblade along the boardwalk. There are also plenty of restaurants, shops, and attractions along the way.
- Military Aviation Museum: This museum is perfect for families who love aviation and history. The museum has over 60 vintage aircraft on display, as well as interactive exhibits and educational programs.
Other family-friendly attractions include the Virginia Zoo, Ocean Breeze Waterpark, and Adventureworks Wetland Zipline Park. With so many options, families are sure to find something that everyone will enjoy.
Overall, Virginia Beach is a great destination for families looking for a fun and exciting vacation. With plenty of family-friendly attractions to choose from, families can create unforgettable memories together.
For those who love the great outdoors, Virginia Beach has plenty to offer. Here are some of the best things to do in Virginia Beach for outdoor adventurers.
Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel
The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is a 23-mile engineering marvel that connects Virginia Beach to the Eastern Shore of Virginia. The bridge-tunnel is a popular spot for fishing, birdwatching, and sightseeing, with stunning views of the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. Visitors can also take a guided tour of the bridge-tunnel and learn about its history and construction.
Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge
Located on the southern end of Sandbridge Beach, the Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge is a 9,000-acre nature preserve with hiking trails, wildlife viewing areas, and a visitor center. The refuge is home to more than 300 species of birds, as well as deer, foxes, and other wildlife. Visitors can also enjoy kayaking and canoeing in the refuge’s waterways.
For a more thrilling outdoor adventure, check out AdventureWorks, an aerial adventure park with zip lines, ropes courses, and other high-flying activities. The park offers a variety of courses for all skill levels, from beginner to advanced, and is a great way to challenge yourself and have fun with friends and family.
If you’re looking for the best things to do in Virginia Beach for outdoor lovers, be sure to check out these exciting and beautiful destinations.
Shopping and Dining
Virginia Beach is home to a variety of shopping and dining options, making it a great destination for foodies and shoppers alike. Here are some of the best things to do in Virginia Beach when it comes to shopping and dining:
For those who love to shop, Virginia Beach has plenty of options. The Virginia Beach Town Center is a great place to start, with over 50 stores and restaurants. Here, you’ll find everything from clothing and accessories to home goods and electronics. The Lynnhaven Mall is another popular shopping destination, with over 180 stores and restaurants to choose from.
If you’re looking for something a bit more unique, check out the ViBe Creative District. This area is home to a variety of local artists and makers, and you’ll find everything from handmade jewelry to one-of-a-kind home decor. The Virginia Beach Farmers Market is another great spot for unique finds, with vendors selling everything from fresh produce to handmade crafts.
When it comes to dining, Virginia Beach has no shortage of options. For seafood lovers, there’s no better place than Waterman’s Surfside Grille. This restaurant is known for its fresh seafood and oceanfront views. Another great seafood spot is Catch 31 Fishhouse and Bar, which offers a variety of seafood dishes and craft cocktails.
If you’re in the mood for something a bit more upscale, check out Terrapin Restaurant. This restaurant offers a farm-to-table dining experience, with a focus on locally sourced ingredients. For a more casual dining experience, head to The Shack on 8th. This restaurant serves up classic American fare, including burgers, sandwiches, and salads.
No matter what you’re in the mood for, Virginia Beach has something to offer. From shopping to dining, there are plenty of best things to do in Virginia Beach for visitors to enjoy.
Nightlife and Entertainment
When the sun goes down, Virginia Beach comes alive with a variety of nightlife and entertainment options. Whether you’re looking for a quiet night out or a wild party, there’s something for everyone. Here are some of the best things to do in Virginia Beach at night:
- Ultra Craft Cocktails – This upscale bar offers unique cocktails made with fresh ingredients and a cozy atmosphere.
- Peabody’s Night Club – A popular spot for dancing and live music, Peabody’s is a must-visit for anyone looking to let loose.
- The Back Deck – Enjoy a drink and a beautiful view of the ocean at this beachfront bar.
- Cinema Cafe – Catch a movie and enjoy a meal at this dine-in theater.
- FireBrew – This brewery and restaurant offers craft beer and delicious food in a laid-back atmosphere.
If you’re looking for something a little more low-key, check out these options:
- Virginia Beach Winery – Sample local wines and enjoy live music at this cozy winery.
- Side Street Cantina – This Mexican restaurant offers delicious food and a relaxed atmosphere.
- Murphy’s Virginia Beach Irish Pub – Grab a pint and enjoy some traditional Irish fare at this cozy pub.
Whether you’re in the mood for dancing, live music, or a cozy night out, Virginia Beach has something for everyone. Don’t miss out on the best things to do in Virginia Beach at night!
Events and Festivals
Virginia Beach is known for its lively events and festivals throughout the year. Whether you’re a local or a visitor, there’s always something exciting happening in Virginia Beach. Here are some of the best events and festivals you won’t want to miss:
- Neptune Festival: This annual festival is a favorite among locals and visitors alike. Held in September, it features live music, arts and crafts, food vendors, and a sand sculpting competition.
- Virginia Beach Patriotic Festival: Held during Memorial Day weekend, this festival celebrates our nation’s heroes with live music, military displays, and a fireworks show.
- Boardwalk Art Show: This four-day event in June features over 300 artists showcasing their work along the boardwalk. It’s a great opportunity to see and purchase unique pieces of art.
- Virginia Beach Restaurant Week: Foodies won’t want to miss this event in January, where participating restaurants offer prix-fixe menus at discounted prices.
In addition to these annual events, Virginia Beach also hosts a variety of smaller festivals and events throughout the year. From wine and beer festivals to holiday celebrations, there’s always something fun to do.
For a full list of upcoming events and festivals in Virginia Beach, check out the Virginia Beach Events Calendar.
Attending one of these events is one of the best things to do in Virginia Beach. It’s a great way to experience the local culture, meet new people, and have a good time.
So if you’re looking for some fun and excitement, be sure to check out one of these events or festivals during your visit to Virginia Beach.
Don’t forget to also check out the other sections of this article for more ideas on the best things to do in Virginia Beach!
Day Trips and Excursions
While there are plenty of best things to do in Virginia Beach that can keep visitors busy for days, there are also some great day trips and excursions that are worth exploring. Here are a few options to consider:
First Landing State Park
Located just a few miles from Virginia Beach, First Landing State Park is a beautiful coastal park that offers plenty of outdoor activities. Visitors can hike or bike through the park’s miles of trails, fish in the freshwater ponds, or take a dip in the Chesapeake Bay. The park is also home to several historic sites, including the First Landing Cross, which marks the spot where English colonists first landed in Virginia in 1607.
Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel
The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel is a 23-mile engineering marvel that connects Virginia Beach to the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Visitors can take a self-guided tour of the facility and learn about its history and construction, or simply enjoy the stunning views of the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean.
Located about an hour’s drive from Virginia Beach, Colonial Williamsburg is a living history museum that recreates life in 18th-century America. Visitors can explore the historic buildings and gardens, interact with costumed interpreters, and learn about the daily life of early American colonists.
These are just a few of the many day trips and excursions that visitors can enjoy while in Virginia Beach. Whether you’re looking for outdoor adventure, history and culture, or simply a change of scenery, there’s something for everyone in this beautiful part of Virginia.
Virginia Beach is a popular tourist destination, so there are plenty of options for accommodations. Visitors can choose from hotels, motels, resorts, vacation rentals, and more. Here are a few options:
Hotels and Resorts
For those looking for a luxurious stay, there are plenty of hotels and resorts to choose from. The Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront is a popular choice, with its prime location on the boardwalk and stunning ocean views.
The Westin Virginia Beach Town Center is another great option, with its modern amenities and convenient location near shopping and dining options.
Motels and Inns
For a more budget-friendly option, there are plenty of motels and inns in Virginia Beach. The Ocean Cove Motel is a popular choice, with its affordable rates and convenient location just a block from the beach. The Belvedere Beach Resort is another great option, with its charming beachfront location and cozy rooms.
For those looking for a more home-like experience, vacation rentals are a great option. Airbnb Virginia Beach and VRBO Virginia Beach offer a variety of rental options, from cozy apartments to spacious beach houses. Visitors can choose from properties with ocean views, pet-friendly options, and more.
Overall, there are plenty of options for accommodations in Virginia Beach. Visitors should consider their budget, location preferences, and desired amenities when choosing where to stay. By finding the right accommodations, visitors can make the most of their trip and enjoy all the best things to do in Virginia Beach.
Virginia Beach is a popular tourist destination, and as such, it has a well-developed transportation system. Visitors have a variety of options to choose from when it comes to getting around the city.
One of the most popular modes of transportation in Virginia Beach is the trolley. The VB Wave trolley is a fun and convenient way to explore the city’s oceanfront. The trolley runs from mid-May to mid-September and stops at all the major attractions along the boardwalk. It’s a great way to see the sights and sounds of the city without having to worry about parking or traffic.
If you’re looking for a more traditional mode of transportation, taxis and ride-sharing services are readily available throughout the city. Visitors can use popular apps like Uber and Lyft to get around quickly and easily. Taxis are also available, and they can be hailed on the street or called in advance.
For those who prefer to drive themselves, renting a car is a great option. There are several car rental companies located throughout the city, and visitors can choose from a variety of vehicles to suit their needs. However, it’s important to note that parking can be a challenge, especially during peak tourist season.
Finally, for visitors who want to explore the city’s natural beauty, biking is a great option. The city has an extensive network of bike paths and trails, and visitors can rent bikes or bring their own. Biking is a great way to see the city at a slower pace and take in all the sights and sounds.
In conclusion, Virginia Beach has a variety of transportation options to suit every visitor’s needs. Whether you prefer to take the trolley, hail a taxi, rent a car, or bike around, there are plenty of ways to get around and see the best things to do in Virginia Beach.
Virginia Beach is a fantastic destination for anyone looking for a fun-filled vacation. With so many best things to do in Virginia Beach, you’ll never have a dull moment. Whether you’re interested in history, nature, or just soaking up the sun on the beach, Virginia Beach has something for everyone.
If you’re a history buff, be sure to check out the Cape Henry Lighthouse and the Military Aviation Museum. Both offer fascinating insights into the past and are great for anyone interested in military history.
For nature lovers, First Landing State Park is a must-see destination. This beautiful park offers hiking trails, camping sites, and stunning views of the Chesapeake Bay. You might even spot some wildlife while you’re there!
Of course, no trip to Virginia Beach would be complete without spending some time on the beach. The Virginia Beach Boardwalk is a great place to start. With three miles of pristine beach and plenty of restaurants and shops nearby, it’s the perfect spot to spend a lazy afternoon.
Other fun things to do in Virginia Beach include visiting the ViBe Creative District, exploring Mount Trashmore Park, and taking a dolphin-watching tour.
Whatever you decide to do, you’re sure to have a great time in Virginia Beach. So pack your bags, grab your sunscreen, and get ready for an unforgettable vacation!
Don’t forget to check out our other articles on the best things to do in Virginia Beach for even more ideas on how to make the most of your trip.
If you’re looking for more fun things to do in Virginia Beach, here are some bonus tips to help make your trip even better:
- Visit the Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center to see over 300 species of animals and learn about marine life conservation.
- Take a scenic drive along the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, one of the engineering marvels of the modern world.
- Explore the First Landing State Park, where English colonists first landed in 1607, and enjoy hiking, biking, and camping.
- Take a dolphin watching tour to see these playful creatures in their natural habitat.
- Visit the Military Aviation Museum to see vintage aircraft and learn about the history of military aviation.
- Take a sunset sail on a catamaran and enjoy the beautiful views of the ocean and coastline.
- Go on a food tour to sample some of the best local cuisine, including fresh seafood and Virginia ham.
These are just a few of the best things to do in Virginia Beach. With its beautiful beaches, rich history, and diverse attractions, there’s something for everyone to enjoy in this coastal city.